Sleeping well is absolutely essential not just because it will help you to wake up fresh but also because sufficient sleep helps your body to be able to deal with any kind of adversity much better.
With so many commitments like family, work and relationships, most of us fail to manage to get even 7 hours of sleep, nowadays. It can be the norm to take an added cup of joe to get us through the day.
This goes without saying that being sleep-deprived is easy and common these days. But did you know that a lack of sleep also affects your mental health in a negative way?
Why is Sleep Essential for the Mental Health?
If you are sleep deprived, there is a clear evidence that it can take a toll on your performance and emotions. The night of the restful sleep can reset the brain reaction in order to prepare for the psychological changes the next day.
The sleep has a vital restorative function which recharges the brain at the end of each day. It is similar to the need of changing mobile phone cells after prolonged use. The natural rhythm of the body is reset every day by maintaining a regular sleep-wake cycle. This optimises the functioning of the brain.
If you are not able to sleep well at night, it can give rise to major depressive disorder. Again, the worsening of your anxiety and depression enhances the severity of Insomnia. So you must sort out and identify the sleep problems as soon as possible.
Here some of the ways in which sleep deprivation affects your mental health are enlisted.
- Sleep Deprivation Leads to Memory Issues – At the time of sleeping, your brain can form connections that can assist you to process and recall new info. Sleep deprivation can detrimentally impact both the long-term and short-term memory.
- Lack of Sleep Leads to Depression –A variety of studies have shown that 90% of the kids and the adults also suffer from the sleep issue. Generally, the sleep apnea and insomnia are the most common ailments. One longitudinal research found that the participants with Insomnia were much more inclined towards the non-insomniac counterparts. There are numerous studies that have concentrated on the relationship between depression and sleep and further research has shown that the sleep problems have begun before the depression sets in.
- Sleep Deprivation Leads to Problem with Concentration and Thinking – Your creativity, concentration and the problem-solving skills suffer from a lack when you don’t get ample amount of sleep. So if you don’t get ample amount of sleep you won’t be able to portray your creativity in the best way possible.
- Lack of Sleep Leads to Anxiety – It is estimated that more than 50% of the adults who suffer from sleep issues have anxiety disorder. In fact, anxiety and sleep have a relationship that is cyclical. Now, being worried or anxious can make it challenging to fall or stay asleep. One survey found that over the 50% of the people who have both anxiety and sleep issues, often develop a new form of anxiety that is related to falling asleep at night. The symptoms of anxiety can be amplified much like that of depression by the lack of sleep. But as opposed to depression, the symptoms of anxiety can surface before falling asleep.
- Sleep Deprivation Can Lead to Mood Swings – The deprivation of sleep can make you emotional, moody and quick-tempered. The chronic sleep deprivation can lead to depression or anxiety and that may escalate if you fail to restore your sleep.
- Lack of Sleep Can Worsen ADHD – People with ADHD often complain about problems of falling asleep or getting restful sleep or staying asleep. These issues can be triggered by ADHD. But when you are sleep deprived, it can also deteriorate your focus, concentration and attention.
In today’s busy culture, if you are unable to sleep well, it is imperative that it will take a toll on your overall health and your mental health is especially affected by it. So if you are not being able to sleep well because of snoring or Insomnia or any other reason, you should seek oral appliances for sleep apnea or consult with the top sleep dentist without delay which will make sure that you are able to sleep well at night and are able to lead a healthy life both mentally and physically.
Banner Image Credit: theresurgent.com